FACTOR 2017 Conference – MIB Agents Osteosarcoma Alliance
This past February, the MIB Agents Osteosarcoma Alliance hosted the first ever FACTOR Conference in Miami, Florida in order to bring together researchers, surgeons, oncologists, and patient families from all over the country to discuss advancing the treatment for osteosarcoma and improving patient outccomes. The panels ranged from scientific discussions on epigenetics to bereavement workshops for the families. It was the largest gathering of osteosarcoma patients in the world to have ever taken place.
The conference objectives (taken from the MIB website here) were as follows:
- Significantly improve osteosarcoma awareness and patient outcomes through collaborative disease management approaches, clinical trials and dedicated osteosarcoma research.
- Collectively brainstorm on the challenges and come up with collaborative solutions on a fast track.
- Create a symbiotic bridge between the osteosarcoma medical community and the patient community for an improved understanding of patient challenges and solutions.
- Provide a platform to various osteosarcoma advocacy/support groups to better collaborate and optimize their resources.
- Evaluate funding needs for research and provide impetus to fundraising strategies [by various advocacy groups].
- Be a dedicated forum to review progress on an annual basis on various osteosarcoma disease management initiatives.
Although Because of Daniel did not exist as a foundation at the time, both Theresa Beech and Sara Garcia-Beech attended the conference and thanks to Theresa’s research, she was invited to give the keynote speech. Thanks to the conference, Theresa met many people who she has since worked with on the subject of the basket trial and POWR.
(Watch Theresa’s speech here.)
There is scheduled to be another FACTOR Conference in January 25-28, 2018.